- Prestigious international university
- Wide range of employee benefits
- Exciting opportunity for interaction and involvement with cutting edge research, university students and industry clients
The University of Adelaide is one of Australia's leading Group of Eight, research-intensive universities and is consistently ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world. Established in 1874, it is Australia's third oldest university with a strong reputation for preparing educated leaders and delivering research outcomes that contribute to local, national and global wellbeing.
University of Adelaide employees enjoy a range of benefits and favourable work conditions that include opportunities for career development and advancement.
The Faculty of Sciences is one of five faculties at the University of Adelaide. As the first university in Australia to grant degrees in science (1882), science has long been at the cornerstone of the institution and this continues today. As a research and education leader in fields such as agriculture, food & wine, animal & veterinary sciences, biological sciences, and physical sciences, the Faculty offers an exciting and innovative work environment.
We are seeking a suitably experienced individual who will be responsible for providing specialised expertise and support for Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS) facilities to support research. The position is funded by an Australian Research Council (ARC) infrastructure grant to operate a newly purchased Nu Perspective IRMS, housed in the Faculty of Sciences, University of Adelaide. The purpose of this new equipment is to undertake novel stable isotope analyses of silicate materials using high temperature pyrolysis, bypassing traditional offline fluorination methods. The position will also oversee two other IRMS instruments in the same laboratory, in addition to providing occasional technical assistance for Thermal Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (TIMS) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GCMS) facilities where required, and subject to receipt of training. The role will include the undertaking of fee for service work for internal researchers and external clients.
Salary: HEO7 ($85,105 to $95,231) per annum.
Superannuation: An employer contribution of 9.5% will apply.
Term of position: This fixed-term contract is available from December 2018 for a period of one year.
To be successful you should have:
- Specialised expertise in the setting up, maintenance and operation of gas source isotope ratio mass spectrometry instruments, including dual inlet and continuous flow systems, elemental analysers and automated carbonate prep devices
- Demonstrated experience in Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS), associated software and data analysis
- An understanding of safety and regulatory requirements, with demonstrated experience in application of these in a research environment
- Demonstrated verbal and written interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain key relationships with a diverse range of staff and students, including the provision of practical training
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritise and organise work to achieve goals and meet deadlines while managing completing demands with a customer service focus
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and laterally and exercise initiative as appropriate.
Please address and upload your responses to the ‘knowledge and experience’ section of the selection criteria within the online application.
If you have any queries regarding this position, please contact Paul Smith, Research Technical Services & Facilities Team Leader, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact Michelle Carter, HR Officer, email: email@example.com.
Please note if the position description/selection criteria link is not appearing, you will need to view on another device.
Closing date: 9am, 22 November 2018 ACDT
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.
Download the Position Description Apply now