- Diverse work across a range of production animal species
- Access to generous continuing professional development arrangements
- Contribute to veterinary education
The University of Adelaide is one of Australia's leading Group of Eight, research-intensive universities and is consistently ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world. Established in 1874, it is Australia's third oldest university with a strong reputation for preparing educated leaders and delivering research outcomes that contribute to local, national and global wellbeing.
University of Adelaide employees enjoy a range of benefits and favourable work conditions that include opportunities for career development and advancement.
A rare opportunity has arisen for a suitably qualified veterinarian to join a dedicated team at the University of Adelaide’s Production Animal Health Centre (PAHC). The position would suit a recent graduate with 1 to 4 years large animal experience however new graduates may also be considered.
If you are an enthusiastic, team-oriented veterinarian with a passion for production animal medicine and a desire to further your knowledge and skills this is the position you have been looking for. This is your chance to join the team and be mentored by two experienced production animal vets and two technicians, along with strong support from a group of experienced academic specialist clinicians and pathologists while also making an important contribution to the clinical education of the next generation of veterinarians.
The practice is well equipped with access to a range of modern equipment and includes two fully equipped vehicles for on farm work and a climate-controlled hospital/surgical barn on site. The work is genuinely mixed across all production animal species.
Reporting to the Senior Veterinary Clinician, the Veterinarian provides a range of high quality production animal veterinary services to the local community including general care and preventative health services, whole farm assessment and audit, breeding services and diagnostic and surgical procedures. Working as part of a clinical team you will participate in an emergency afterhours service on-call roster on weeknights and weekends. You will also contribute to clinical teaching and supervision of students by involving them in clinical case management, providing additional learning opportunities where appropriate and demonstrating the highest standard of clinical and professional behaviour.
The Veterinary Health Centre (VHC) is the School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences’ clinical teaching facility which operates on a commercial basis, offering a range of first opinion, ambulatory and specialist veterinary services across all animal species to the general public and referring veterinarians. As a unit of the VHC, the Production Animal Health Centre (PAHC) consists of an ambulatory (on farm) service and a campus-based clinic, and provides veterinary services to owners of production animals in a wide region surrounding Roseworthy and referral services to veterinarians. The centre also provides a clinical training environment for final year veterinary students working under the close supervision of experienced veterinary surgeons and support staff.
The PAHC is situated on the University’s picturesque Roseworthy Campus, approximately 9km from the township of Gawler and on the doorstep of the world-renowned Barossa Valley wine region. With the local schools, restaurants and amenities of Gawler, a relaxed lifestyle and affordable housing, but only an hour from the CBD of Adelaide, the location offers the best of both worlds.
Salary: (HEO6) $77,316 - $83,548 per annum
On-call and overtime allowances apply for participation in after-hours on-call roster in accordance with University of Adelaide Enterprise Agreement.
Further study and continuing professional development activities are encouraged and supported with time off and up to $3,000 per annum available towards approved activities and memberships, for example ANZCVS.
- Insurance and VSBSA registration paid by the University
- Uniforms and PPE provided
- On campus free parking
- Staff discounts for veterinary services across the VHC for all species
- Access to Corporate Health Plan through BUPA
- Cafeteria on site
- Access to University of Adelaide library and digital resources including VIN
- Discounts for University continuing education courses
- On site sporting facilities, swimming pool and gym (membership required)
Visa sponsorship and relocation package available for the right candidate.
Superannuation: An employer contribution of 17% may apply.
Term of position: This continuing position is available immediately.
To be successful you should have:
- Veterinary qualification with eligibility to be registered as a veterinarian in South Australia
- Demonstrated interest in production animal practice with skills and knowledge of farm animal medicine and herd health
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with a diverse range of clients and team members
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for assisting, teaching or mentoring others
- Demonstrated written communication skills, including the ability to keep detailed, accurate medical records and write professional referral letters and client correspondence
- Demonstrated organisational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritise work and balance competing deadlines to achieve accurate, high quality work outcomes.
Please address and upload your responses to the 'Knowledge and Experience' section of the position description within the online application. If you have any queries regarding this position, please contact Mandy Holloway, HR Officer, telephone: +64 (0)8 83137740 or email: email@example.com
Please note if the position description/selection criteria link is not appearing, you will need to view on another device.
Closing date: 11.55pm, 14 October 2018
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.
Download the Position Description