- Prestigious international university
- Wide range of employee benefits
- Work with the best in the field to deliver on exciting software projects using the latest machine learning tech
The University of Adelaide hosts the recently-formed Australian Institute for Machine Learning (AIML, previously ACVT), the largest computer vision and machine learning group in Australia with over 110 members including academics, research staff and students. We work on a mixture of fundamental and commercially orientated research projects in computer vision and machine learning, and have a strong track record of publication in the top venues. The University’s Computer Vision research is amongst the best in the world. We rank 3rd in the world in the number of publications at the top conferences over the last decade (see http://csrankings.org). In 2017 we led a team including researchers from Microsoft and Stanford to win the VQA 2.0 Challenge, we were top of the Cityscapes leaderboard, and had the state-of-the-art method in many of the core problems in Computer Vision.
The Australian Institute of Machine Learning is looking for machine learning software engineers to develop machine learning systems for challenging real-world problems that will make a difference in people's daily lives. In these role you will be part of a team of software engineers, work with experts to develop machine learning algorithms, and test, deliver and maintain software systems. You will be a pioneer, creating new tech that didn't previously exist to do things that weren't thought possible. This is a growth opportunity - as you work with leaders in artificial intelligence and the latest tools you will be constantly at the cutting edge of technology.
The position offers the opportunity to work with some of the best machine learning experts in the world developing skills and expertise in an area that is creating incredible opportunities. It will give the successful applicant an insight into the state of the art in machine learning, and the entrepreneurial ways it can be applied to create value. It will provide an unparalleled grounding for those wishing to identify and exploit some of the many opportunities in this dynamic area.
This position offers a flexible, outcome-focused opportunity to develop your skills, track record, and connections in a field that is having an enormous impact. You will be writing production code, crunching data with machine learning algorithms, and working in agile teams to deliver machine learning systems.
Salary: Attractive remuneration package on offer (negotiable) to the successful candidate. The total salary package offered will depend on qualifications and experience. Some funding for relocation may be available. The AIML has a generous conference attendance funding scheme for papers accepted at the major conferences.
Term of position/s: These are two year-fixed term contract position/s, available immediately with the possibility of further extension subject to available funding and performance.
Each successful applicant must have:
- Experience as a software developer in industrial software engineering, proficiency in one or more of C++, Java, Python
- Strong algorithmic coding skill and solid knowledge of data structures
- Demonstrated proficiency with Linux OS
- Understanding of machine / statistical learning techniques such as non-linear regression, kernel regression, support vector machines (SVM), neural networks, classification trees and similar techniques
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member in an agile team environment and meet deadlines to myriad projects and be able to communicate effectively to stakeholders at all levels
- Well-developed communications skills: written and verbal with ability to write reports and technical documents describing projects and presentation skills with the ability to influence and inspire
- Ability to foster stakeholder relationship including the ability to successfully work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
Experience in the following areas is desirable:
- Machine learning, and particularly deep learning
- GPU and CUDA development
- Data, analytics and visualisation
- Industrial software engineering
- Cloud computing, web services, databases
- Web development
- Mobile app development.
A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, Computer Vision, Engineering, Mathematics or Machine Learning) would be an advantage, but not necessary.
Please address and upload your responses to the 'Knowledge and Experience' section of the position description within the online application and include a full CV, cover letter and the details of two referees. If you have any queries regarding this position, please contact Ian Will, telephone: 8313 6176 or email: AIML@adelaide.edu.au for further information.
Please note if the position description link is not appearing, you will need to view on another device.
Closing date: 11.55pm, 8 October 2018
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.
Download the Position Description