• Collaborate with some of the best machine learning experts in the world
• Wide range of employee benefits
• Develop skills and expertise in an area that is creating incredible opportunities
This position offers a flexible, outcome focused opportunity to develop your skills, track record, and connections in a field that is having an enormous impact. If you are able to write and review production code, crunch data with machine learning algorithms, and manage agile teams this may well be your dream job.
The Australian Institute of Machine Learning is looking for a team leader to deliver machine learning systems for challenging real-world problems that will make a difference in people's daily lives. In this role you will scope and plan projects, manage a team of software engineers, work with experts to develop machine learning algorithms, take responsibility for products, and test, deliver and maintain software systems. You will be a pioneer, creating new tech that didn't previously exist to do things that weren't thought possible. This is a growth opportunity - as you work with leaders in artificial intelligence and the latest tools you will be constantly at the cutting edge of technology.
The University of Adelaide hosts the recently-formed Australian Institute for Machine Learning (AIML, previously ACVT), the largest computer vision and machine learning group in Australia with over 110 members including academics, research staff and students. We work on a mixture of fundamental and commercially oriented research projects in computer vision and machine learning, and have a strong track record of publication in the top venues. The University’s Computer Vision research is amongst the best in the world. We rank 3rd in the world in the number of publications at the top conferences over the last decade (see http://csrankings.org). In 2017 we led a team including researchers from Microsoft and Stanford to win the VQA 2.0 Challenge, we were top of the Cityscapes leaderboard, and had the state-of-the-art method in many of the core problems in Computer Vision.
The position offers the opportunity to work with some of the best machine learning experts in the world developing skills and expertise in an area that is creating incredible opportunities. It will give the successful applicant an insight into the state of the art in machine learning, and the entrepreneurial ways is can be applied to create value. It will provide an unparalleled grounding for those wishing to identify and exploit some of the many opportunities in this dynamic area.
Salary: Attractive remuneration package on offer (negotiable) to the successful candidate. The total salary package offered will depend on qualifications and experience. Some funding for relocation may be available.
Term of position: This is a two year-fixed term contract position available immediately with the possibility of further extension subject to available funding and performance.
Each successful applicant must have:
- Proven experience in industrial software engineering with extensive experience in one or more of C++, Java, Python
- Experience in applying machine learning (particularly deep learning) to industrial problems
- Experience in large data sets, cloud based architectures and deployment frameworks for machine learning algorithms
- Demonstrated experience of successfully leading and managing a team in a technical environment
- Experience in software project management including different project lifecycle models and projects with different levels of integration
- Ability to determine the appropriate test and evaluation methods to ensure outcomes are delivered that meet customer expectations
- Highly developed communications skills: written and verbal with ability to write reports and technical documents describing projects and presentation skills with the ability to influence and inspire
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to quickly build successful stakeholder relationships, working collaboratively with a diverse range of experts including University leaders, research academics and representatives of government, business and industry
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively and work collaboratively to develop creative solutions and achieve positive outcomes
- Demonstrated programming experience with Linux OS, cloud computing, web services, databases, web and mobile app development.
• A PhD in a relevant discipline (Computer Vision, Engineering, Mathematics or Machine Learning) would be an advantage or
• a relevant postgraduate qualification or extensive relevant experience in relevant disciplines (Computer Vision, Engineering, Mathematics or Machine Learning)
Experience in the following areas is desirable:
• Experience working in industry
• Experience in data, analytics and visualisation
• Machine learning, and particularly deep learning
• Data, analytics and visualisation
• Staff management
• Software project management
• Cloud computing, web services, databases
• Web development
• Mobile app development
Please address and upload your responses to the 'Knowledge and Experience' section of the position description within the online application and include a full CV, cover letter and the details of two referees. If you have any queries regarding this position, please contact Ian Will, telephone: 8313 6176 or email: AIML@adelaide.edu.au for further information.
Please note if the position description link is not appearing, you will need to view on another device.
Closing date: 11.55pm, 8 October 2018.
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply
Download the Position Description